Plough Hotel

Original Filename: P18-052.jpg ( not available for download )

Plough Hotel.

Caption

The owners of the first Plough Hotel, Selena and Solomon Stephens, with their 12 children.Mr and Mrs Stephens are standing by the verandah post behind the dog.

The Plough Hotel evolved from Solomon Stephen's accommodation house at the western entrance to the town. In 1859 he applied for a general hotel licence buy was declined after being involved in a physical disagreement with an opposition applicant on the other side of the road, Joseph Papprill, who was the licensee of the Sawyers Arms, Papanui. Paprill had his application granted for the Rangiora Arms, but this lapsed after a few years.

In 1861 Stephens gained a licence for his premises, which became Stephens Hotel in 1864 and The Plough Inn a year later.

 

Extract from: "Rangiora - An early pictorial record"

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion