Topic: The Plough Hotel, Rangiora

Topic type:

The Plough Hotel, High Street, Rangiora

The Plough Hotel evolved from Solomon Stephen's accommodation house at the western entrance to the town. In 1859 he applied for a general hotel licence but was declined after being involved in a physical disagreement with an oppostion applicant on the other side of the road, Joseph Papprill, who was the licensee of the Sawyers Arms, Papanui. Paprill had his application granted for the Rangiora Arms, but this lapsed after a few years.

In 1861 Stephens gained a licence for his premises, which became Stephens Hotel in 1864 and The Plough Inn a year later.

His hotel prospered and he played an important role in the early development of Rangiora.

 

Extract from "Rangiora An early pictorial record"



Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion