Topic: Methodist Church, Waikuku

Topic type:

1403 Main North Road, Waikuku

Prior to the Methodist Church being built in Waikuku, the Wesleyan Methodist services were conducted in the Waikuku schoolroom for about 30 years.

In 1899 it was decided to build a church and land was donated by Mr Charles Skevington. A tender of £179 was accepted from Mr J Withers for building the church, and the laying of the foundation stones occurred on 7 December 1899. The church was officially opened in the afternoon on 8 February 1900 presided over by Rev. J Orchard. The building was described as “an ornament to the village, is strongly built, and neatly finished, and will comfortably accommodate 80 people”.

The last Methodist service was held on 2nd December, 1990 and the property was sold. This church has a Category II listing on the Historic Places Trust Register.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Tags: Churches, Waikuku

Methodist Church, Waikuku


Locale:Waikuku