Topic: Kaiapoi railway station and information centre

Topic type:

Kaiapoi railway station and information centre

The building, designed by George Troup, was completed in 1904 to replace the 1872 station which was too small.

The building was damaged in a storm in 1976, and the southern half of it had to be removed. Passenger services from Kaiapoi stopped in 1976, although railway services tickets could still be bought at the station until it closed for good in 1986.

In April 2002 the building was moved to the north side of the Kaiapoi River beside the wharf and underwent restoration.

The restored station was officially opened by MP Clayton Cosgrove on 1 June 2003 and became the Kaiapoi Information Centre. It has a Category II listing with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

The building and nearby riverbank area suffered significant damage in the September 2010 earthquake.

In September 2012 the building was moved again, to stand beside the Post Office on Charles Street.

Kaiapoi information centreKaiapoi info centre

Kaiapoi railway station historicKaiapoi Railway Station September 2012

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Kaiapoi railway station and information centre


Locale:Waimakariri
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Kaiapoi railway station and information centre by Jenny K is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License