Topic: Kaiapoi courthouse

Topic type:

Kaiapoi courthouse & museum

The courthouse and lock-up of brick at 145 Williams Street, Kaiapoi, was completed in October 1890 and replaced an earlier wooden courthouse that was built in 1866. The building was designed by William Crichton and built by W Grey. The court originally served a large area, as far north as the Amuri. Some of the cases were for ship desertion, stealing firewood, having scabby sheep, not eradicating thistles on a property, and many for debt. Also there were many cases for owners charged with having horses wandering at large, or for dogs worrying sheep. Coroners' Inquests were frequent, as there were many drownings and accidents in the early days of settlement. Maori Land Court hearings were another important function.

All court hearings ceased in 1951. The Police Department used the building for a few years until the Kaiapoi Borough Council acquired it in 1971. It became the Museum in 1982. An addition joining the lock-up to the courthouse was built in 1999.

The Kaiapoi Museum was deemed structurally unsound after the September 4 earthquake and was demolished over several days from 10 September 2010.

CourthouseKaiapoi courthouseKaiapoi museum earthquake damage

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Kaiapoi courthouse


Locale:Kaiapoi