Topic: Blackwells Department Store

Topic type:

Blackwells Department Store

The store was established in 1871 by G.H. Blackwell, the original site was on the corner of Black and Hilton Streets.  In the early days the general goods store also included a grocery department, bake-house and stables.  In 1902 the shop was rebuilt, the drapery and millinery part of the business was expanded and gas lighting was installed. In 1921 the current store opened on the present-day site on the corner of corner of Williams Street and Raven Quay).

Blackwells 1930s

Blackwells before the earthquakeBlackwells2Blackwells 3


Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Blackwells Department Store